Friday, March 28, 2014

Time for something new … seriously?

I've said on here several times that my spare time is extremely limited. A PhD is not conducive to endless hours of leisure time. However, this fact doesn't seem to stop me from picking up new hobbies. Last year I added English paper piecing and counted canvas to my repertoire and the year before I taught myself how to crochet.

After much urging, encouragement, and enabling by a dear friend, and despite my weak attempt at resistance, I have succumbed and agreed to try knitting (again). I tried once when I was a little girl, but my tension was so bad that after a few rows it was impossible. I had thought that I was never going to be a knitter. With age and crochet experience comes a better feel for tension, and so I tried again.

I picked up some cheap needles and pulled some ridiculously green acrylic yarn from my stash and gave it a go.


Not to shabby for a first try! Look at all that pretty garter stitch. I am a knitting whiz! Slipping stitches like a pro!

*fast forward 3 days*

Sadly adding in purl stitches and the pretense of a pattern (k3, p3) and it all went to hell. LOL


As much as I hate to admit it, I need to practice. Here's to umpteen rows of stockinette stitch in my future!

2 comments:

  1. It may not be perfect but it's better than my attempts at knitting. I have more holes than wool in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are being way too hard on yourself. =) It looks pretty darn good to me, and I bet if you cast off now and blocked it, you'd be surprised how well it would look. And I think wool is way more forgiving than acrylic, BTW!

    ReplyDelete