Thursday, October 25, 2012

Embossing, Masking, and Getting Inky

I haven't posted any cards in ages. I've only made a couple in the past few months, usually at the last minute, which means I forget to take pictures.

I follow 40 or 50 papercrafting blogs, and I noticed a masking trend on one layer cards while using Distress Inks to colour stuff in. I love it. I think it looks great. But I really haven't done much of it myself ... until now.

This first card is for one of my very best friend's birthday. I embossed the bird (maybe from Inkadinkado?) with clear powder, and masked off the area I wanted to ink up. Then, I just started blending. I used Faded Jeans and Dusty Concord from Distress Inks. It's taken a long time (and watching umpteen You Tube videos), but I think I'm finaly getting the hang of these inks. Once I was happy with the inking, I spritzed with water and used my embossing tool to dry it. I love the way the ink reacts to water! As a final touch before I removed the mask, I sprayed a little Shimmer Spritz on it. Add sentiment and bling, and it's good to go!


For the second card, I embossed the butterfly, then I blocked off a bigger area and used three inks - Squeezed Lemonade, Spiced Marmalade, and Barn Door. Again, my blending is getting better. No big blobs of colour or sponge marks. I spritzed with water, and the placement couldn't have been more perfect if I tried! I love the hint of a trail. No glitter or bling on this one, just a sweet sentiment for a supportive and appreciated friend.


I forgot how much fun it is getting inky; I just might have to do this more often!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the bird card! The colors are awesome and the placement of the bird just looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cards! I adore the spackle/spray effect!

    ReplyDelete